Sunday, December 21, 2008

Just some weekend stuff

Litkia: Hey mama guess what?
Beej: What?
Litkia: If you don't count today or tomorrow or the next day, it's only ONE DAY 'til Christmas!!

Brilliant.

Guess what happened today? Dirty Larry handed me the final quarter (Tennessee) that Litkia and I needed to complete our set of State quarters. I came VERY close to putting it in its place without Litkia present, but thought better of it and let her do the honors. Now, I'm sure some of you (and of course by "some of you" I mean Coco) are gonna laugh at the fact that I collected all the state quarters, but this sort of activity is RIGHT up my alley. There are a finite number of spaces to be filled and how can anybody resist filling them? I'm so glad I gave up my stamp collecting (shut up) because that was an exercise in futility. Not to mention it was very expensive. There was absolutely no way to fill up the spaces with labels like 1847 - Washington. Just impossible. It still kind of gives me stomach pains when I look at the empty spaces, but I console myself by looking at the large number of pages with no stamps missing. Very satisfying is what that is.


I went to a Christmas party Saturday night at the home of some friends and I talked to many interesting new people and ate yummy food. Dirty Larry and I were the oldest people there and I'm pretty sure we were the only ones there with kids. We were the first people to leave and we got a little flack from the hostess and some of the guests about our 10:00 departure. It seems that these people don't yet understand my way of life. When it happens to them, I'm gonna point and laugh.

Happily, Dirty Larry drove by Bienville Square on the way home so I could take sparkly pics of the thingies hanging from those beautiful, huge oak trees and the fountain (now Christmas tree). It was a nice weekend. Now I face the week with my kids home from school and work still lurking at my desk. Wish me luck. I truly think I'm gonna need it.

10 comments:

Paul Mitchell said...

I actually still have my stamp collection from grade school and have an 1863 Jefferson Davis Confederate stampy squary thingy of four 1 cent stamps, whatever that is called. It's prolly worth ONE BILLION dollars or thereabouts. I had it "expertized" and all that nonsense, too.

Carla started collecting those quarters when they first started minting them, but she never finished. I prolly have that book thing of hers somewhere, too.

Beej said...

Yep, I suspect your stamps are worth approximately a billion. The oldest one I have is 1861-62 Washington - second design.

I have a few others from the 1800's, but very few...like 4 or 5. And none of those are mint. I'm pretty sure I got those from my grandfather which is why I started collecting in the first place.

I had to stop because I was spending so much money and because I never could pronounce the word philatelist.

Paul Mitchell said...

I don't think that I have one older than that Jeff Davis one. And I know that my grandfather gave it to me. He told me that it was worth ten dollars then, so it has to be worth ONE BILLION now.

The main reason I quit collecting was that I hated the smell of the stamps and the stamp shops. I bet there isn't even a stamp store open in Jackson anymore.

Beej said...

You should go to http://www.mysticstamp.com/ and see what it would cost you to buy that today.

I have the state birds and flowers from 1982 (all still attached - one page) and it's worth $55 now...nearly doubled in value.

iz tres cool...oh man...this is making me want to play the stamp game again...I must refrain.

tomi said...

hee hee! I LOVE that you know Coco so well- I am certain that she is rolling her eyes right this very second! (i have to kinda admit...i question the collection also, but probably not with the same amount of sarcasm that Coco might have)

hope that you have a very merry christmas!!!

Beej said...

Oh Tomi...nobody does ANYTHING with the same amount of sarcasm as Coco. We both know this.

Merry Christmas to you too!

Abby said...

I'm not much of a collector myself, more of a if-it-doesn't-serve-some-practical-purpose-throw-it-away-er actually. Quarters are for buying things, but I'm happy for you.

Magnum and I attended a Christmas party too where we were the oldest couple there. Not the only ones with kids, but the only ones with teenagers to be left home alone. THAT explained our early departure.

Anonymous said...

you can all kiss my tush. i've collected THREE...count 'em three sets of state quarters in the nifty folders...one for each small child. I'm missing just a few coins which I'm sure will show up eventually.

Duble said...

The quarters I get, i mean there are 50 and their quarters. (this kinda makes me sad, my grandma was trying to fill here collection and she died before they all came out).

But stamps, stamps, for the love of all that is holy stamps.

brandy101 said...

We also collect the quarters...dont have TN yet though...