Monday, September 14, 2009

Comforting Cornbread

Let’s talk about cornbread.

I love cornbread. Alottabit. Cornbread is one of those things that I can cook and actually cook well. When I make cornbread, the smoke alarm never goes off like when I make cookies, because somehow, cornbread is more important than cookies. I very rarely ever get it wrong anymore. It’s crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, but firm enough to stay together with no obnoxious crumbling. Cornbread is great for crumbling in your soup, but YOU should be the crumbler. It shouldn't do that on its own accord.


My mother taught me how to make cornbread, just as her mother taught her. She tells the story of her brother stealing the good crispy outside of the whole skillet of bread by stretching out his long fingers over the top and giving it a good twist. Up it came in a big circle and then he’d run away with it. He ran because he knew my grandmother would be directly behind him, mad as a hornet about his bad behavior. It was always too late for her to do anything about it. He was too fast and the damage was already done. That is a BIG, BIG no-no around here. Everybody should get their fair share of the top layer. Of course it’s not even the top layer, it’s the bottom layer. When you take the skillet out of the oven, you turn it over to get it out so, the top becomes the bottom. If you don’t know cornbread, there’s a good chance you don’t even know what I’m talking about and that just makes me very sad for you. This picture is a close representation of what cornbread SHOULD look like, only it's obviously a little crumblier than I like and has some peppers or something in it. People really shouldn't mess up good cornbread with extraneous stuff.



If you live anywhere North of Tennessee or have only eaten cornbread in a restaurant, I’m willing to bet you are one of the deprived. Cornbread should NOT be bright yellow. Jiffy has a corn muffin mix, which should never, no never, be confused with cornbread. Jiffy is for the weak. Jiffy leaves a bad taste in my mouth. No, I’m serious. It really does. It’s a pasty bitter aftertaste. Gives me the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it.


Cornbread is best when served with soup or pot liquor. Cornbread was meant for soaking up the juice left in the peas or the turnip greens. My grandmother believed that cornbread crumbled in buttermilk and eaten with a spoon was the cat’s pj’s. My eldest sister does the same thing, only with milk. Those wouldn’t be my favorite uses for cornbread, but I certainly don’t think there’s anything wrong with it. Field peas and fresh tomatoes with hot cornbread…sigh. Comfort food is what that is. Just comforting.

9 comments:

Duble said...

There is nothign comforting about comfort food. I mean it is not comfortable to just be sitting there sweating becuase you've just ingested more fat then on an entire bison.

The jiffy box says, corn muffin, do people confuse that?

Paul Mitchell said...

Cornbread with black-eyed peas, mashed up in a bowl. Had it tonight.

Makes me happy and I shall let the rest of the world live at least another day. (or two)

Herb said...

"I don't get it," said the Yankee, "what's the hoopla about cornbread and the Jiffy box says you can make cornbread out of it?" I've had it at restaurants and the Jiffy kind and I don't see what the big deal is. It's just dry and crumbly and doesn't taste like bread even one little bit.

Herb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beej said...

Po Po Herb. Po Herb.

Abby said...

Mmmmmmm.....cooooorrrrrrnnnnbrrreeeeaaaaddddd....

I just made a cornbread! I make sure we always have some on hand. A day without cornbread is like a day without sunshine!

Herb said...

I guess it's po, po pitiful me.

brandy101 said...

Got a recipe to share?

Deirdre said...

I love cornbread in red beans and rice.

Mmmm.