Thursday, December 17, 2009

That's not right.

My friend and I went to dinner the other night and when we returned home, she noticed a large Styrofoam package under the tree that wasn't there when we left. Apparently, a delivery was made while we were gone. I picked it up and realized that it was the steaks that my sister sent to Dirty Larry for his Christmas present. Now, Dirty Larry couldn't have known that there were steaks inside the package, but it WAS labeled in big red letters "HIGHLY PERISHABLE - REFRIGERATE IMMEDIATELY". I asked him what part of high perishable made him want to put it under the tree, but he didn't answer me.

I went ahead and opened the box. I feel like the packaging might have cost more than the meat inside. What a fancy, huge Styrofoam box! My friend immediately asked what I was going to do with it and I told her I was tossing it. She was indignant and begged to take it home with her, which I certainly didn't mind. I have no idea what she'll do with it, but it seemed very important to her that it NOT be thrown away. Also inside this box was a bag of dry ice, the obvious source of refrigeration for shipping. I put the bag into the sink and noticed the words "DO NOT TOUCH! CAN CAUSE BURNS!" I left the kitchen after that, but later realized that Dirty Larry and Litkia hadn't followed me out. I kept hearing them giggling and laughing in there and I finally couldn't stand it anymore and went to see what was so funny. They were poking holes in the bag and adding water, making smoke and watching it boil away. THERE'S a great parenting picture for you. When I walked in, they were both smiling and laughing until they looked up and saw me. Dirty Larry sheepishly said, "Look! The whole kitchen is full of smoke!" I ordered them out.

I have no idea what these steaks are going to taste like but I'll have you know that the gift was MUCH more than the steaks. Even the packaging brought Christmas joy to all and nobody was injured. It's a Christmas miracle.

5 comments:

Herb said...

First, I must applaud Dirty Larry on his fine parenting skills. Having fun is um...fun. What a good example to us all. I would have done that and more and I have used the dry ice thing in Sunday School lessons for effect or just because it is so cool. And, er, educational, too. As to the cooler, have you ever looked at the price of even the cheapest of styrofoam coolers? The cheap, one-use ones are almost three bucks. If it is the size and weight of the one I scarfed from the neighbor's lawn (he had put a "free" sign on it) it is worth about thirty bucks easily. If you'd have put it in your yard sale for five bucks it would have been one of the first things to go.

Merry CHRISTmas to you and your family.

terri said...

Dirty Larry is living proof that men are really just big kids. And this is why women should rule the world.

Duble said...

I think your "friend" has dealing with the shady underworld of the morally questionable and highly illeagle organ trade!!

WATCH YOUR KIDNSEYS!!

Abby said...

Oh, I LOVE playing with dry ice! I wish someone would send me steak, so I could play with the dry ice!

You gotta admit, that is a nice piece of styrofoam. I'm so glad it didn't get chucked.

Herb said...

Terri, I thought women did/do rule the world????