Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Cows are not my friend

So, my long lost friend at the magic website posted a picture of a cow today (*shudder*). It reminded me of a fishing trip long, long ago, when my Daddy took me to a catfish pond at feeding time, handed me a cane pole and let me throw in my line. Immediate success is what happened, and it happened over and over again. That ruined me for fishing from that day forward. Any time I had to sit and wait more than a minute or so for the little cork to get pulled under, I was underwhelmed. It wasn't fun sitting in the hot sun, getting nibbled by bugs, if you couldn't pull in a fish every minute or so. Although this picture is not me, but my daughter, it is a dadgum close duplicate of that day including Daddy in the background.

Anyway, the cow. The cow picture reminded me of how much I dislike cows. On my way through the pasture, going to that pond, I had to watch my step. What I witnessed that day was simply horrific. I figured that those huge piles of manure could only come from a monstrous sized beast and sure enough when I got close enough to one, all I could think about was getting away from it. I'm not sure what I thought it might do to me. Bite me? Step on me? Fall on me? I had heard the words "cow tipping" at some point in my young life. Could they actually tip over and FALL on you? They were HUGE. You would surely perish. Cows were obviously a menace.


Although I do love a steak or a really good hamburger, I simply haven't liked the live-type cows since that day. If we are driving and pass a pasture full of cows, I just try not to look. My friend at the magic website assures me that cows are friendly and she even feeds them by hand. I think that's ludicrous. I told her I was pretty sure that cows eat people. She denied it. I'm personally not getting close enough to find out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You realize cows aren't atchully THAT large in real life, yes???

Deirdre said...

Aww, moooooooooo!

Cows are good. :P

Duble said...

This reminds me of some friends of mine that wanted to be part time ranchers, I should post that story.

Herb said...

My online time is limited these days but I had to say something here, since I am a Cheesehead from Wisconsin originally. Cows don't bite. contrary to what cartoons may depict, they don't even have upper teeth. I know you are a cheese fan and you must know that cows are the direct contributors to cheese...except goats, but everyone knows goats are evil, hateful, mean and nasty. Cows are nice.