Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My Mama Would Say You Were Wrong


My Mama always told me that if you’re about to make a negative comment about something a person couldn’t do anything about, you should just keep your trap shut. For example, if your friend has spinach in their teeth or toilet paper hanging off their shoe, by all means, let them know politely. Although the initial sharing of the information might be a little embarrassing, the end result is positive. If, however, a person has a scar on their cheek in the shape of a lightning bolt, you should hold your tongue. Nothing can be done about that. Since my unfortunate run-in with a deer, resulting in the destruction of my Barbie Jeep, I don’t have a lot of love for woodland creatures, but even Thumper’s mama told him that if he couldn’t say something nice, he shouldn’t say anything at all. Having said all that, when I tell you I’m moving and you ask me where I’m going, my answer will be Beaumont, Texas. The correct response to this information should not include you scrunching up your nose like you smell something bad, or interjections of “ugh” or “oh man, that’s too bad”.

I might be able to understand the reaction more, if I thought you really believed that Saraland, Alabama is the land flowing with milk and honey, but the truth is, I don’t think you believe that at all. I think you’re just mean.

2 comments:

Duble said...

I like moving every so often, I've been in denver for 7 years now, which is by far the longest i have lived anywhere.

Also, if moving to beumont, causes you to post, I say bring it on. I am not even sure what part of texas that is, the part by lubbock is a lot different then the part by corpus christi

brave new adventure!

Herb said...

Well, Texas is still the South and I agree with Jerry, if it will make you post more...(I know, that's sort of the pot calling the kettle black, but, well...)
Mean people abound, but maybe she's just jealous.