Monday, October 27, 2008

Oscar Wilde Week #1 - Fashion

I will be the first to say that Oscar Wilde was a mixed up so and so, but he seriously said some blogworthy stuff.

"Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months." - Oscar Wilde

When Coco came to see me last, we went to New Orleans for a girl trip. She forced me to wear a shirt that belonged to her daughter because according to her, all I had to wear was "stuff that looks like your grandmother crocheted it". I suppose I've never been much for fashion. I'm pretty sure I wear what makes ME happy and not so much what everybody else might think I should be wearing. I'm a rebel like that I guess. I like my blouses to have angel or peasant sleeves (see pic) that tend to fall into whatever food I may be eating (but obviously not for that reason), my pants to be jeans (preferably nicely worn in) and my shoes to be flip flops. Those three things together tend to make me look a little on the side of gypsy-ish, which I don't really mind. I also like to use the word bohemian to describe myself, but I think the actual definition doesn't fit me at all really, considering that I view myself as a conformist in so, so, so many ways. I think I just WISH I was more capable of being a nonconformist and I think if I pretend to be, maybe one day I will be. Until that day, I'll try to be satisfied with dressing like a witch and keeping secrets from my mama.

2 comments:

brandy101 said...

Its funny; in my teens and 20s I often dressed rather *wildly* (kooky/bohemian, NOT slutty!) but I always considered myself (and still do) to be very respectful of many conventions of society. Meaning, I am an individual, I follow rules, (although I have been known to work to change rules I dont like) but on occassion like to express myself in a colorful way, that is unique to ME.

My only fashion rules (that should apply to EVERYONE!) are: chose garments that do not show belly fat, butt crack, or more boob that than a sliver of cleavage (and only for evening wear.)I think there is plenty of leeway within my fashion donts to choose any number of items - including peasant blouses with the flared sleeves! ;)

Abby said...

I'm not exactly a fashionista myself. Keep it simple and functional and try not to embarrass the children. Those are about my only rules.