Monday, February 16, 2009

But your hair sure looks cute in that ponytail...

Last night I ran for miles and miles with one leg sort of twisted behind the other leg precariously. It was very uncomfortable, but I kept going because...well, I don't know why, but I kept kept going. I kept thinking I should stop and try to run correctly with one foot in front of the other, but for some reason, I just couldn't get my feet to do that. I kept thinking how it shouldn't be this hard because sometimes when I run miles and miles, I do it right and it's not even painful. I can go for long stretches without even breathing hard, and I can go much faster.

This is a recurring dream, and to be honest, I'm sorta tired of it. I think it's just my subconscious making fun of my failure as a runner. I mostly pretend that the failure doesn't bug me, but I think it actually does. So this morning, as a show of spite to the part of my mind that is toying with me, I decided to talk to my ugly running shoes and convinced them that we should try again, starting this morning. I stepped onto the treadmill, just like I do each and every morning, but this time, after a tiny warmup, I upped the speed and I ran. Well, it was more like a jog, but can we please call it running? I figure if you and I were side by side and you walked and I did this jogging/running thing, I'd have left you way back there ages ago. Anyway, I ran. Now, much like Lemony Snicket's story telling, this story will more than likely never have a happy ending, no matter how much I build up hope. Total running time without stopping? 10 minutes. That's all.

I will try again tomorrow.

4 comments:

Abby said...

Whoo! Beej is a runner! I kinda think there's something not quite right with those of us who run - welcome to the "club"!

Anonymous said...

Hey! Don't get discouraged at all. For someone who isn't used to runnning, the suggested method is to walk and run combined. Run util you feel you need to slow down and then walk until you feel up to running again.

BTW, I think there is only standing, walking or running. Jogging is a made up word. If you aren't walking , you are either standing or running.

Sorry for lurking and then jumping in! I am harmless!

Beej said...

Abby - I think I'm not a full fledged member just yet, but I'll keep trying.

MTAE - Your name is way too long to type out. Sayin'. I love lurkers and I too am harmless. *shut up everybody*

terri said...

Try this:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

It works and I'm proof.