Sunday, February 14, 2010

February Miracles in the Deep Deep South

The south was laughed at this week. People looked to us and snickered about how pathetic it is to shut down everything for a little snow. I'm aware that nearly every state north of me (there are none south of me) sees snow on occasion and may even find it annoying or mundane. I get it. But realize that we don't even own winter coats down here. There is just no need. How do you drive when there is ice on the road? We have no idea. Why? Because it NEVER gets cold enough for any ice to form on our roads. Again, there is just no need for snow chains or lessons about wintry road conditions.


But let me tell you MY side. Friday morning I got to see my children's faces light up as they saw the very first snow they have ever seen in their lives. I got to walk out in it with them and experience it with them. It was nothing less than pure magic. We got nearly NO accumulation. There were no snowmen, no snow angels and no snow ice cream. It didn't last but a few hours, but those few hours were miraculous and beautiful and memorable. I have experienced snow only two other times in my 43 years. Once in high school in Pearl, Mississippi and once before I had kids in Meridian, Mississippi. Seeing it fall with my kids was like introducing them to an old friend. Point and laugh if you must, but also be aware that something mysterious and otherworldly happened here on Friday. No, they can't take that away from me.

8 comments:

brandy101 said...

So glad they enjoyed it!

(you know when us Yankees mock your ice fear, its just cause we are jealous you get such nice weather year round!)

Paul Mitchell said...

One thing, Beej, I was in Eastern Kentucky two weeks ago and drove through the mountains in sleet. Yes, it was nerve shredding, but I persevered. Washington DC got snow two days after and shut down entirely. Not that that is a bad thing when DC shuts down.

Them Yankees ain't so tough.

Duble said...

Here is a little secret for you. Northerns can't dive in the snow either!!

Beej said...

So I accidentally lied. Turns out I remember ONE other snow at Mississippi State University where the students were sledding down hills on cafeteria trays.

Didn't mean to fib.

Deirdre said...

I'm so ready for constant warmth! I don't see how people live in the snow. Geeze. It's freaking cold! And our temperatures aren't even as low as they get! Goodness.

Adam said...

You've got such a pretty house, Beej ^_^

Herb said...

Coming from Wisconsin I laughed like crazy when I lived in El Paso and the city got shut down for an inch of snow. Some, many Northerners can, in fact, drive on the stuff, but many also just think they can.

Deirdre said...

For true!