Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I don't even OWN a gun...or a fishing rod.

This evening, Dirty Larry decided that the kids needed to see the Bass Pro Shop across the bay. I was skeptical about the adventure because it didn't sound like much fun to me. I wasn't really interested in hanging around with every good old boy from here to the state line, but since I've been harping about never doing anything outside this house, I couldn't very well decline his offer. I admit to being a little grumpy on the way over, but I tried to put my feelings about unfinished typing and homework aside for the time. When we got there and exited the jeep, I could hear music playing in the parking lot. It reminded me vaguely of Disney World, the happiest place on earth and I almost immediately started feeling better.

The place was huge and there was no detail a sportsman could possibly have been left wanting. There were more dead, stuffed animals in this place than you could ever imagine. Here's an opossum on a spit. Yum!

And bears! There must have been 45 bears (and that is only a SLIGHT exaggeration).

After we toured the facility and saw the gigantic aquarium and the waterfall, we decided to head toward the Islamorada Fish Company Restaurant located inside the store. Again with the skepticism, but I must say I changed my mind as soon as they brought out the bread. Oh my goodness! The food was great even if there WAS a tree in my creamy key west shrimp pasta. My word this picture makes it look gross. I promise it wasn't.

One definite drawback to this nice evening is that I'm feeling the need to walk an extra mile in the morning for putting all that food in me (I did finally join the gym by the way).
So, moral of the story is that sometimes Dirty Larry might be sorta, kinda right even if I think he's possibly off his nut.

6 comments:

Herb said...

I bet you found something you liked and wanted to try, too.

Beej said...

You're right Herb. I liked looking at the fish and I wanted to try eating that whole plate of pasta.

Abby said...

GASP! That place is BETTER than Disneyland!

Paul Mitchell said...

We got a one of those monsters here in Jafrica. I took Bean out there once and purchased a bug-killing tennis racket like one of those things that we have to hang on the patio here.

It is fun to smash the mosquitoes with an overhand, but it hurts like a muhh when you get smacked on the knee with it. Just saying.

brandy101 said...

I keep telling my hubby we need to take a family jaunt to the Cabelas down the road. Specifically I need my daughter to practice her bow-shooting (I think they have an archery range.)

I am still chuckling about the possum on the spit - um, is that sort of Stereotypical redneck/good-ole-boy or WHAT?! (j/k!)

Anonymous said...

there is no opossum on an ospit here in beautiful north carolina's Bass Pro Shop. must be a bama thing.