Saturday, December 6, 2008

I'm not impressed....or even amused really

My friend Gnutcase, who never darkens the door of this blog anymore, sent me an interesting article the other day. It seems that I live in a town where it is acceptable to spend $9,000 of the city's money to create a giant Moon Pie that will drop at the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve this year instead of a ball. And not only that, but they've hired a bakery in Tennessee to make the world's largest Moon Pie so the partiers will have something to snack on while they wait for the ball...um...Moon Pie to drop. Can you imagine an enormous crowd of people surrounding a giant Moon Pie and everybody trying to get a piece? That is so very nasty. And whose gonna clean that mess up afterwards? We're talking MARSHMALLOW people. Again, tres nasty.

I do understand the significance of the Moon Pie to this fair city; truly I do. But, I think this may be taking things a tad too far. I'm already embarrassed about the fact that my children scream MOON PIE at all the parades (even the Christmas parade) to get the people riding on the floats to throw them. This is the behavior of the average citizen and I've always sort of made fun of them for it. My kids are learning strange things.

I didn't grow up here and I do NOT do that. I'm not saying I wouldn't eat one if it happened to land beside me or if I caught it because it was hurdling through the air directly at my face. But scream for one? No. Besides, if you're standing in a bad place there's a good chance they won't throw anything but the banana flavored ones. Can you say "puke"?

16 comments:

Junebug said...

One of the reasons I love so you much is cause you say things like "never darkens the door." Also, I'm comin' over for that moon pie thing.

Paul Mitchell said...

I hate marshmallows so bad that I want to fight them. And if I ever find out who invented the marshmallow, I am going to dig them up and fight their dead carcass, too.

And do NOT get me started on bananas either.

terri said...

I don't think I've ever actually seen a Moonpie and in your neck of the woods it seems they've achieved celebrity status. Strange. Then again, I live in a city named for a type of tree that has mostly been cut down in the name of development.

Paul Mitchell said...

terri lives in Hackberry, Ohio.

Abby said...

Well I guess I'm one of the uncultured because I am sorely lacking in my moon pie lore. I had no idea that moon pies, banana or otherwise, held such an esteemed position. And I don't think I've actually ever eaten one either. I'd probably do a defensive move on it if one were to come hurling towards me during a parade.

Beej said...

Junebug - I'm glad I amuse you.

TwoDogs - I will enjoy watching that if you'll invite me when it happens.

Terri and Abby - I should really research how the Moon Pie got so important around here. I know it's all about Mardi Gras, but I do kind of wonder how that started. People are seriously messed up about it down here.

tomi said...

being from texas, i have no idea what you are talking about- however....if your town has to be associated with some sort of snack item, the moon pie is not the one I would pick. for example...the oatmeal cream pie is greatness, as is the swiss roll, if frozen snacks counted, I would go for the ice cream sandwhich. But really and truly i like fried snacks best-how 'bout fried pickles or fried mozerella?

just a thought.

Beej said...

Tomi - I know Coco loves you and now I do too. Oatmeal cream pies are da bomb...and there is never, never, never anything wrong with anything having to do with cheese.

Venus Desiree said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
GeekieChick said...

I'm in Texas, too. I've lived here more than 15 years now (so I consider myself 'Texan'!! ;) ) I grew up in Kentucky and Indiana, though. Yes, I remember moon pies only too well.

Uggg.... I have never liked moon pies. The marshmallow always grossed me out so bad I just couldn't force one down.

Blech...

And, YES! Anything with cheese is a winner with me, too!!!

Yummmmm..... *drooling*

Junebug said...

also, i should prolly tell you that you are eating them incorrectly. what you should do is get a chocolate one and put it in the microwave for a minute or so and then eat it with a fork. totally different scenario, see?

tomi said...

as Coco also knows, i love anything with bacon too. cheese and bacon make everything better!!!

Anonymous said...

First of all, I think that's way cooler than here in New Orleans where we watch a gumbo pot drop at midnight. I was so embarrassed for my city watching that stupid pot drop last year...errr...this year.

Secondly...I've seen Two Dogs fight marshmallows. He lost.

Paul Mitchell said...

Never lost against a Gnutcase, though.

Anonymous said...

You eye-gouge though...cheater. Actually, I think we called it "ow-geyging" or whatever the transposition of eye gouging would be.

Paul Mitchell said...

How did you enjoy your day off yesterday, sir?