Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The wrapping paper even looks like it's fading...

My children have lots of stuff. The stuff tends to take over their rooms like the falling leaves have taken over my front yard and we wind up raking the excess stuff up in a pile for burning. Okay, we don't really burn the stuff. But there was the leaf analogy going and I didn't want to mess it up. We take the stuff to a charity, ok? Anyway, they have everything they need and most of what they want. When my kids decide they want something new, and I decide against it, they sometimes do something that I despise. They beg and plead. I have to say that this truly doesn't happen very often because they know I'll turn a deaf ear. If they do stoop to begging they quickly remember that it leads nowhere...nowhere good anyway.

So, as an adult (who has everything she needs and most of what she wants and who should know better), why is that I beg and plead with the air? Do I think the air is going to help me out in some way? Do I think my incessant moaning to the atmosphere will cause my wishes to be granted? It started out as prayer, but I guess I felt like a bratty kid and that God may not look favorably on all that whining. As time has moved forward, it has turned into a kind of pleading with the breathable molecules in my immediate vicinity. Did you ever read "Frannie and Zooey"? Yeah, kinda like that.

I'm pretty sure I quit talking to God about it because I realized I was asking God for mercy that He had already supplied. Only thing is that he supplied it in a way different than what I wanted, and like a spoiled brat, I turned my nose up and sort of refused to accept it. Now, I'm just talking to the air while looking at my mercy present sitting in the corner collecting dust. Wonder what will have to happen to get me to go open it.

9 comments:

Paul Mitchell said...

Wait, are you saying that God didn't answer a prayer the way that you wanted? That has never happened to me.

Oh, forgot, you are not Catholic. We are special in the answering prayer department, you oughta think about switching to a real religion.

Beej said...

I'm just gonna stand over here far away from you in case the lightning strikes you down.

Actually I do like the thought of confession and doing penance. Do ya'll still do that or is that old school?

Paul Mitchell said...

Kill, rape, pillage, plunder, cuss, and kick dogs on Saturday. Apologize on Sunday, it's all cool with OUR God.

Then you say ten "Hail Marys" and ten "Our Fathers" as a fine. We are big believers in the punishment fitting the crime, you know. And if you are cool about it, you get a snack during Mass.

Paul Mitchell said...

As long as I am going with the hard sell, you might be interested in knowing that we killed that "No red meat on Friday" rule, too.

We still frown on contraceptives though, but remember there is that "out" on Sunday.

"Forgive me, Father, I have sinned. I took birth control pills this week."

Alrighty, ten "Hail Marys" and ten "Our Fathers."

Paid in full.

brandy101 said...

I like this post; one thing I am very conscious of is not to ask God for anything *big*. I guess *miracles*, you would call it. I have studied about His plan - and how we can never fully understand it; so I ask in my prayers, *Can this XYZ scenario fit into your plan somehow?* LOL< as if I need to have diplomacy when talking to Him! O:-)

I ALWAYS say profuse Thank-you prayers when something good happens, though. I mean, its just good manners ;)

Junebug said...

Just do it, Beej. Open it.

Abby said...

Open it. Take pictures. Show us.

I try to keep my prayers of the "thank-you" type too, but we all know I have a selfish agenda.

terri said...

Did I read that right? You LIKE the thought of going to confession and doing penance? Crazy girl!

Guess I recognized myself a little in that begging and pleading scenario too. Might do me good to do a little more thanking instead.

Anonymous said...

talking to the air is highly UNDER-rated.