Friday, December 12, 2008

Why Colbie isn't my favorite person anymore

We went to the Colbie Caillat concert last night and I must say that I left there not loving her as much as I did when I went in. She made me extremely uncomfortable from the moment she stepped onto the stage until the moment that she took her last bow. She wore a black baby doll dress that was so short she couldn't bend over to pick up her water glass. She had to bend her knees to get low enough to pick it up without mooning the entire audience. She kept tugging on the dress at the straps like she was afraid she was gonna fall out and she was perched so precariously on her extremely high heels that I was afraid she was gonna tumble over at any given moment. And of course, the song everyone wanted to hear was the song she just refused to sing. It was maddening. When she waved her hand at the audience and announced "good night everybody", I just thought to myself, "What an attention HOG! She knows we'll all have to scream and holler to get her back out here to sing that song and she just wants to hear us do it." I chose to sit in quiet protest. She did come out for her encore and my LORD she sang something else! She did finally sing "Bubbly" but by the time she did I was so irritated I couldn't even enjoy it.




Good stuff about the concert:

*She really does have a pretty voice.
*Her drummer's t-shirt said "RUN DMC".
*She sang a very acoustic and very lovely rendition of "Killing me Softly" with her guitar player that made me kinda swoon.
*I enjoyed watching Jon McLaughlin, the opening act, beat the living devil out of that piano. I was sure it was gonna splinter into a million pieces. And he couldn't sit on the stool. I don't even know why it was there. Very entertaining. He's like a mix between Ben Folds and Eric Hutchinson.
*I think the Mobile Saenger Theatre is just the prettiest old place. I liked just sitting in there.
*The Bienville Square fountain has miraculously turned into a sparkly lighted Christmas tree for the holidays. Made me smile. Oh wait, that wasn't about the concert...but I saw it walking to the theatre so it counts.

Okay, I can't lie. I had a really good time, but she absolutely needs to try to look more stable and balanced on the stage if you ask me. Just Beej's helpful opinion.

10 comments:

Abby said...

Wait...

You got to go to a concert??

Beej said...

Just barely Abby...just barely. That's a post for yet another day.

Duble said...

No idea who Colbie, but if you blend it with swiss and cheddar (and some unmentionables) you get the perfect mix for Queso.

Also this reminds me of when I saw Cake in concert in around 95. It was right after their first hit became a hit or at least a quasi hit. The one song I knew, they audience actually started chanting for it, and the lead singer said, we're not singing it.

Beej said...

Yes you do know her Jerr...she's got the blog song of the day over there.

Cake! I want a girl with a short skirt and a looooooooooooooooong Jacket! I love them...mostly.

Paul Mitchell said...

Obviously this person doesn't really exist, because I have never heard of her either.

Beej said...

Well, it doesn't matter anyhow, because like I said, I don't like her anymore anyway.

but seriously..you've never heard "bubbly"?

Duble said...

I actually listened to the song while reading the post, and yes, i know that song, but i had no idea it was sung by a strumpet named after cheese.

Paul Mitchell said...

Sorry, Beej, I don't have a little girl that forces me to listen to Top 40 radio.

terri said...

Sounds like her wardrobe is modeled after Mariah Carey's - another unbelievably talented artist who seems to think she needs to leave as little to the imagination as possible.

I do really love Colbie's music though. Mariah, not so much.

Junebug said...

you really don't like her anymore? really?
you know somebody made her do that. sing Bubbly at the end, I mean.

at least you got to hear it. the rest of us were at home watching tivo or something.