Thursday, January 15, 2009

Lexington is the size of a postage stamp

Today Beej is packing and getting ready for a trip to Jackson, Mississippi. From there we'll head to Lexington to attend the funeral of Dirty Larry's mother. She was diagnosed with MS years ago and has had a downhill battle with her disease ever since. It wasn't really a surprise when we got the phone call, but even if you expect something to happen in the near future, sometimes it's a little shocking when it happens in your immediate present. You know?

The first time I ever met her, she was sitting on the couch, smoking a cigarette and reading a book. Beside her on the table was the radio which was tuned to a country music station, a pile of books, an ashtray and the phone. The phone was turned toward her and she was perched there in preparation to be the 6th caller to win something they were giving away. The TV was on, but the sound was off. She was watching a country music television station and if Alan Jackson were to appear she would turn the sound back up. She thought he was pretty. This is the picture of her that is etched in my brain and it makes me smile, therefore, this is the picture I choose go to when I think of her. There are other pictures of her in my brain, but you know, I think I'll just file those away and forget them.

6 comments:

Paul Mitchell said...

Yeah, but it's a big postage stamp.

Beej said...

Well it DOES have a square I guess...it's saving grace.

Beej said...

Thanks Terri. All is well.

Abby said...

Aw, sorry Beej.

brandy101 said...

So sorry to read of your MIL.

I also love the image you conjured up of her. I would love to know if she had some sort of awesome country music fan hairdo, too.

Prayers for your husband & family.

Anonymous said...

<3