Monday, January 12, 2009

Rated PG for brief nudity

I can accept the quick, get in, get out shower as well as the next fellow, but what I really want is a bath. A bath with deep, very hot water and lots of suds. Sadly, as you probably know by now, I have a problem with staying on task. This is the reason that dinner is burned nightly and my towels sometimes have to be rewashed because they were left in the washer for a couple of days and now bear a funky smell. All this to say that I sometimes start running the bath water and forget what I'm doing. So far, I've never let it go so far as to run over and ruin anything, but what DOES happen more often than not is that the water is way too hot when I get ready to get in. The result is that I step in, find it unbearable and step out immediately. I then turn on the cold water to even things out and step back in, usually way too soon. This second entrance is normally made close to the spigot and if things still aren't acceptable, I hold my ankles with my hands to protect them from the heat. Somehow my hands can deal with the scorch better than the skin of my legs can. As the water becomes a little more tepid, I get lower and lower, crouching like some kind of coward, hoping at some point soon I can sit down and unfold without scalding myself in unmentionable places. I did this very thing this morning. I realized how ridiculous it looked and was thankful nobody was present to see it. I questioned myself about why I don't just wait until things are okay before I get back in and decided that I'm afraid if I walk away again, that overflowing and ruining the floor thing is going to happen. I can't be expected to remember the same thing TWICE, can I? I think not. Besides, I have no clothes on at this point. Should I sit on the lid of the toilet until everything is kosher in the bath? Hot bath water doesn't steam up a room like a hot shower would. I'd freeze. I supposed I could grab a robe but sheesh that seems like a lot of effort when I could just spend the time protecting my ankles.

6 comments:

Abby said...

See. This is why I just take showers. Baths are so high-maintenance.

Deirdre said...

What I do is start the water running and when the tub is maybe an inch full, I get in and let the water continue to flow... then I adjust the heat higher at that point and somehow I'm not affected by the scorch! I guess because your body gradually gets acclimated to it rather than dumping everything in at one time. Maybe try that?

Adam said...

I have to agree with Abby. It seems like such a dilemma to go through just to relax.

GeekieChick said...

HA! Inspired and I are on the same page! I do that, too! :P

On the other hand, I much prefer showers...

Herb said...

Well, on the rare occasions I have opportunity for such a luxury, I kind of do the same thing. I think it's normal.

brandy101 said...

We are too alike - I do this ALL THE TIME!

I think a bath thermometer shoudl be in our Xmas stocking next year if we are good.