Saturday, February 7, 2009

Hope your Saturday was as pleasant as mine

Today, I met my friend at the gym and went to the tanning bed. I know that tanning borders on bad behavior, but it really does make me happy. Later in my life, when I ask you why I did this and my skin is all leathery, remind me that I said that. When I was all done tanning, I was trying to decide whether to treat myself to coffee at Moka's. Here I am deciding.

After that, this is what I saw...

...which meant I decided yes. Here's the proof.

When I got home, it was time for the family to work in the yard. We did that last Saturday as well and it was such a success that we thought we'd do it again. This time, I bought spiffy new gloves for me and the kids from the local dollar store for 3 bucks (and that's about how much use we got out of them too - mine already have a big old hole in them). Dirty Larry already had super duper gloves that he keeps hidden in his vehicle. He would never leave them in the garage. What if a spider decided to crawl in there and settle in one of the fingers when he wasn't looking? So in the car they stay.

We worked very hard for hours and hours (seriously). Well, at least some of us did. There were others of us who mostly played around with a rope we were using to pull some dead limbs out of a tree. Here are the culprits now.
Please note that Litkia's pants, while not matching her shirt, do match her gloves...kinda. I feel almost certain that she did this on purpose when she saw her nifty new striped gloves. I did mention that she was outside for the world to see and asked her if she was sure her ensemble was appropriate attire. She seemed okay with it, so I refrained from speaking about it any further.

So, this is the corner of the yard that we worked on today. This is an "after" picture. If you were standing in the same spot yesterday, you wouldn't see the same view. In fact, you wouldn't have seen the house at all. That's how overgrown and jungle-like the place had become. Another detail of interest in this picture is something that most people have never seen before. In fact, I haven't seen it many times myself. Look closely on the bottom left of the picture and you will see Pateriko RUNNING. I'm keeping this one forever.Anyway, here's the big pile of mess we made. I hope the city comes soon to get it all. Last weekend we had 11 contractor sized bags full of leaves out there and they were all gone by the next night. It wasn't the city though. It was the neighbors. I'm not sure what they wanted with our leaves, but I thank them for removing them just the same. Please note that in this picture, Litkia is still in the front yard, still pulling on that rope. My kids need new toys.

5 comments:

terri said...

Every year I say that this is the year I start using sunscreen and stop tanning. I can't help it. It feels good. I don't drink much. I don't smoke. I don't do drugs. I excercise regularly. I needed a vice. Tanning is it.

Your day sounds so productive! Makes me want to go clean something. (Not really.)

Paul Mitchell said...

My day was very productive as well, I paid an old black man and his two grandsons forty dollars to rake my front yard. And they hauled off all the pine straw in a trailer too. They sell it to Lakeland Yard and Garden, so they actually made much more money than I paid them.

Walked two miles.

Ate hamburger steak, mashed potatoes, black-eyed peas and cornbread.

Shaved.

Looked at property.

Went over the entire SEC's freshman signees.

You know, IMPORTANT stuff.

Herb said...

That didn't look like coffee in that cup. Coffee is hot and back and steaming.

brandy101 said...

Girl, lemme tell you - over the years, in the throes of our long cold gray winters, I have been known to pop onto a tanning bed wearing SUNSCREEN, no less!

But, uh, your kids are wearing capri pants and t-shirts...doesnt seem too wintry to me! I am jealous. :(

Abby said...

What a productive day in the yard! I want to do that with the RC car "racecourse" Meego and the husband made over Christmas break. *big sigh*

All that productivity was, I'm sure, due to the moka's coffe and your fantastic tan.