Sunday, March 8, 2009

At least my shoes have rubber soles

In my newly found devotion to exercise and all things healthy, I came across a website where you can enter your address and find out the "walking score" for your area. I knew mine wouldn't be very high because of how spread out everything is here, but I was curious, so I entered my information. My score was 9/100 and I was told that I was "car dependent". I knew this, but I was somehow disappointed that I couldn't even make it into double digits. I would love to live in a "walkable" town at this point in my life, but I don't see that happening anytime in my near future. Following a few links here and there, I also read that people who live in these walkable towns do a lot of bike riding too and there's a big problem with bike theft. The solution? A nifty CARDBOARD bike.


I personally think that the novelty of this bike makes it a sure target for theft, but apparently, since it only costs about $30 to produce one of these things, you would feel better having lost a cardboard version of a much more expensive product.

But....what happens when I get caught in a torrential downpour? I envision it melting underneath me and then flash forward to me entering my front door holding only the chain and the pedals. I also admit that the picture in my head includes my dripping wet hair stuck to a face that has less than a happy look on it, but that's a story for another day.

I think Abby should check this out for us.

Find your walkscore here!

8 comments:

terri said...

I'm afraid to check my walkscore. It might fall in the negative digits. And that is one UGLY bike!

Duble said...

you're walkscore link didn't work, it linked as www.blogger.com/www.walkscore.com

anyway mine was 65

Beej said...

Thanks Jerr...I think I fixed it.

Abby said...

My house scored a 60. You seriously got a 9? Where the heck do you live?

Now, as for this cardboard bike - I did some investigation of my own, and the designer of it is SERIOUS. I thought it was a joke, but no!

Just say no. For those worried about their bike being stolen, just get a piece of crap wal-mart bike instead.

brandy101 said...

I second that Abby should test drive the cardboard bike!

My house is in a semi-walkable area - and in good weather I do bike/walk to errands and shooping. But weather is so bad here for much of the year that it is a detraction.

brandy101 said...

oh, my wakscore was 54, btw.

wow, 9 must REALLY be pretty un-walkable.

Deirdre said...

Lol. That's funny!

Deirdre said...

My score was 6. *sigh*