Friday, August 7, 2009

Unforgettable...that's what you are.

I wonder sometimes if you remember me. I want to believe that you do because there is some truly significant part of me that craves to be remembered. Besides, I remember all of you. I remember some of you better than others. You may have passed through my life only briefly, but I'll bet donuts to dollars that you made some sort of impression on me. Maybe you were the girl that was so innocently sweet and polite, who smiled at me and spoke so quietly I had to lean forward to hear what she was saying, or possibly the boy who was late every single day, walking in with disheveled hair like he had just rolled out of bed. I remember you, my four sandy-haired playmates, turning cartwheels in the front yard and catching bees. I also remember how I felt when Daddy told me you all died in the same car accident. What an impact you guys made! And you! You were the one who came to visit for a weekend. I slept in the room with my sister so you could use my room during your stay. I cried when you left because I felt pretty sure I would never see you again as long as I lived, and guess what? I didn't. But I sure do remember you fondly.

You were mean-spirited. You were so skinny! You couldn't stop touching my hair. Your eyes were two different colors. You put ice in your milk every morning. I liked you because you said what you meant without backing down. I didn't adore you because you told me I was fat. You had an imaginary friend. That was so much fun! You said something to me that I will never forget. I loved how you played the piano. You made me laugh when you made a face while I was singing. I just flat out admired you. You had the worst breath. You had some really big feet. I wanted your direction.

And that was only twenty of you. There are so many hundreds and hundreds of you here in my head. How could I ever forget you? I'm holding tight to you too. Don't get the impression that I ever want you to go away, because I don't. And that includes those of you whose memory evokes tears. You all had a hand in making me who I turned out to be. I wouldn't trade you for the world.

I remember you.

5 comments:

Paul Mitchell said...

I think that I remember you, too. Aren't you that person that used to blog regularly?

Beej said...

Yes! You DO remember! :0)

Come back tomorrow. I have one more.

Herb said...

Did you stop blogging all the time because you got a life, too?

Abby said...

I remember them too. But... ice in the milk??

Deirdre said...

This is so sweet. Sometimes, I forget people and it makes me sad when I remember them again.